Thursday, July 16, 2015

Summer Life Hacks: Tested!


 The internet is loaded with life hacks for any occasion! Summer life hacks have become super popular this season and some of them seem too good to be true. I tested out the most popular ones I had seen and just my favorite "hacks" to see if they really worked. Overall, I'd say I was pleasantly surprised in the success! See for yourself.


 I have always done this since I was a kid so I didn't even really have to test it (but it was a great excuse to eat more frozen treats!). All you do is cut a slit in a yogurt cup, insert a Popsicle stick or spoon (really anything) and freeze for a few hours. The end result is a delicious, creamy, frozen treat!

Verdict: SUCCESS!


This one caught my attention so I decided to give it a go! What it is:  a little scent booster bag that you hang in your closet or drawers to make your clothing and linens smell nice.
I poured about a tablespoon of these Gain scent booster "thingys" (not exactly sure what to call them) into a little drawstring mesh bag and hung it in the center of my closet. Now whenever I open the door, it smells great and my clothes do as well!

 Verdict: SUCCESS!


 I was super skeptical about this one, and to my surprise, it worked! This is supposed to turn any cup into a no spill cup. All you do is cover the top with Press'n Seal, poke a hole for your straw and you're set. I even tipped it upside down and nothing spilled. However it did start to leak a bit after being upside down for a few seconds but any cup would do the same.


 Verdict: SUCCESS!


 I was really hoping this one would work. This "hack" said that if you put your ice cream in a Ziploc bag in the freezer, it will be soft and ready to scoop every time. This was not the case. After having it in the bag overnight, it was just as hard to scoop the next day.


Verdict: FAIL :(


 This one I half made up, half found inspiration on Pinterest. There are tons of ideas out there on how to hide valuables at the beach. The first idea is to place valuables in an empty makeup wipe package. The second, an empty pad package... I did try the first one but not the second. However I have no reason to believe that someone would try to steal a pad!? Unless of course they were desperate..?

 Verdict: SUCCESS!


 This is one of the most popular ones I have seen. It's unbelievably simple. All you do is poke a hole in a cupcake liner, put your straw through, and you have a drink cover to keep bugs away. This one does work. The cupcake liner slides around a bit but it's no big deal breaker.

 Verdict: SUCCESS!


Freezing your glass for 30-60 minutes before using it definitely helps a bit to keep your cold drinks cold on hot Summer days!

 Verdict: SUCCESS!


 Tan tattoos. The concept would be helpful to me if only I could tan. I mostly just burn. This isn't a fail simply because I'm bitter about not tanning, it actually didn't work well. The glue didn't go on nicely at all. It was just a thin, scraggly line. When I tried to fix it I made a big, blob mess as you can see. Maybe this fail is due to my low artistic skills but I have to say, it was a fail for me. I'd try tanning with stickers.

 Verdict: FAIL :(


 This one was quite popular too. Using cupcake liners (again) to catch the drips from your Popsicle. This works nicely and keeps your fingers sticky-free!

Verdict: SUCCESS!


 This isn't much of a life hack, more of just a DIY I threw in here. Adding some chopped up fruit to a large pitcher of water creates a light, infused taste to the water. It's really quite refreshing!

 Verdict: SUCCESS!


OK, I'm going to be honest, I did not test this hack. Of course the one day I test all of these life hacks, it is cloudy and gloomy.  I don't see why this wouldn't work though and I am excited to try it out one day. Let me know if you have tried it, and how well it works!

Verdict: SUCCESS(ful-ish)!

9 out of 11 Life Hacks were successful! That's an 82% success rate which I'm pretty happy with.
 
 Have a good day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment