Saturday, December 6, 2014

Blogmas 2014: Day 6 ~ Weekend Project #1 DIY Nail Polish Racks


I have been wanting to get his up for quite a while now! I decided for the weekends leading up to Christmas I'd do a Weekend Project! I will be showing you 3 projects to keep you busy during the weekends leading up to Christmas. They won't all be Christmas themed however they could all be made as gifts or just for yourself! Today's project is a DIY nail polish rack. I've struggled to store my nail polish for years now and I've finally found the solution! 

These racks are made for less than $10 each and are super easy to make! I found some plain spice racks from IKEA and put my own twist on them!

Materials:

Paint of choice


I couldn't get a good photo of the package but I found these in the kitchen section of IKEA for only $6.99 each! You can make 3 personalized nail polish racks for under $30!


These were the paints I chose. The silver craft spray paint worked the best. The Krylon Satin spray paint in nickel worked well too however the Krylon Dual Gold spray paint was awful! It was streaky and the color was completely uneven after 3 coats. I painted over with a gold acrylic paint instead. I can't remember where the craft paint if from but the Krylon ones are from Walmart. The Nickel paint was $2 and the Gold was closer to $8. 


I feel like this DIY shouldn't even be a DIY since it's so easy and you're simply just assembling the spice rack, painting it, and hanging it on the wall. 
Lay out some newspaper and spray the racks in thin, even coats (after assembling them) until opaque. I did this in my garage since the scent is very potent.  
I did one coat of silver, 2 of nickel and as I said 3 of gold followed by repainting with acrylic. 
Let them dry for at least 24 hours before using them.


After that, hang them on your wall! I had some assistance hanging them on the wall and I filled them up with nail polish!

I really love the way these turned out and they look very simple in my busy room!


I hope you enjoyed this DIY and I hope you try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment